Personal tools

Issue Alert - 08-10-04

Document Actions

Oct 07, 2008

Program Area:

State Disability Assistance (SDA)

Issue Summary:

New policy from the Department of Human Services (DHS) allows individuals to receive SDA for 30 days after substance abuse treatment if the client has a plan for outpatient treatment

Persons Affected:

Applicants for SDA currently in substance abuse treatment

For More Information:

Center for Civil Justice 320 S. Washington, 2nd Floor Saginaw, MI 48607 (989) 755-3120, (800)724-7441 Fax: (989) 755-3558 E-mail:

Michigan Poverty Law Program 611 Church Street, Suite 4A Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3000 (734) 998-6100 (734) 998-9125 Fax


State Disability Assistance is a Michigan cash assistance program for individuals with disabilities, or individuals caring for a person with disabilities, or individuals age 65 or older. 

A person has a disability for SDA purposes if he or she:

  • Receives other disability-related benefits or services; or
  • Resides in a qualified Special Living Arrangement facility; or
  • Is certified as unable to work due to mental or physical disability for at least 90 days from the onset of the disability
  • Is diagnosed with having Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)

Individuals may also receive SDA for substance abuse treatment.  They can qualify for SDA while they are in the treatment program or facility.

What's Happening?

DHS has expanded its policy to allow recipients in Substance Abuse Treatment Centers to continue to receive SDA for 30 days after they are discharged from the facility, if they:

·        Received SDA while getting treatment in the SATC facility

·        Have a treatment plan

Have a scheduled date to continue outpatient substance abuse treatment. 

What Should Advocates Do?

Advocates should inform clients in this situation that they may keep their SDA for an additional 30 days if they meet the criteria.

What Should Clients Do?

Clients who are or may be receiving SDA for substance abuse treatment should be aware of the changes and report verifications of their treatment plans and continued treatment once there are discharged from the facility.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee.

You can locate various sources of legal and related services, including the free legal aid office that serves your county, at

You can also look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.