Personal tools

Issue Alert - 07-02-01

Document Actions

Mar 06, 2007

Program Area:


Issue Summary:

MIChild premiums will double for months beginning April 2007

Persons Affected:

Families that receive MIChild

For More Information:

Center for Civil Justice 320 S. Washington, 2nd Floor Saginaw, MI 48607 (989) 755-3120, (800)724-7441 Fax: (989) 755-3558 E-mail:

Michigan Poverty Law Program 611 Church Street, Suite 4A Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3000 (734) 998-6100 (734) 998-9125 Fax


The MIChild program is Michigan’s State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) for children with income above the Medicaid eligibility levels but below 200% of the federal poverty level (currently considered to be $2,875 for a family of 3, under DHS policy). In order to receive MIChild, families must pay a monthly premium. 

What's Happening?

For months beginning with April 2007, the monthly premium for MIChild will increase from $5 per family to $10 per family.   This increase was required by the FY 2007 Appropriations Act for the Department of Community Health.  The MIChild premium for April 2007 is due on March 10, 2007. 


The Medicaid policy bulletin announcing the increase (MSA 07-08) is available online at the website (click on “Medicaid Policy Bulletins”).


On February 14,  2007, over 7,000 households were informed that their MIChild premiums would be increased to $10 for months beginning with April 2007.  Families that had already paid the premiums for their full year of MIChild  eligibility will not have to pay the higher premiums for remaining months.


Families that were approved for MIChild beginning April 2007 were notified on or after 2/22/07 that their premium would be $10.


Families that do not pay their full April MIChild premium by March 10, 2007 will be sent notice on March 15, 2007 that they will face closure if their premium is not paid in full by the end of the month.

What Should Advocates Do?

Make sure affected families and community organizations are aware that premiums will be going up.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee.&nbsp; You can locate various sources of legal and related services, including the free legal aid office that serves your county, at<BR>You can also look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.