Personal tools

Issue Alert - Child Day Care early cash payments eliminated

Document Actions

Jul 07, 2006

Program Area:

Child Day Care PEM 705, 232

Issue Summary:

Policy allowing for early cash payments for Child Day Care (CDC) has been eliminated.

Persons Affected:

Child Day Care applicants who need early cash payments before the CDC case can be opened.

For More Information:

Center for Civil Justice 320 S. Washington, 2nd Floor Saginaw, MI 48607 (989) 755-3120, (800)724-7441 Fax: (989) 755-3558 E-mail:

Michigan Poverty Law Program 611 Church Street, Suite 4A Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3000 (734) 998-6100 (734) 998-9125 Fax


Under old policy, early cash payments could be issued in order to allow the client to attend general or individual orientation, participate in compliance test activities, attend the first week of a Michigan Works assigned activity or begin a job.

What's Happening?

This policy has been eliminated. Direct Support Services (DSS) is a possible resource for individuals that need cash assistance for child care before their CDC case is opened.

Direct Support Services (DSS) are goods and services provided to help families achieve self-sufficiency. Direct Support Services include Employment Support Services (ESS) and Family Support Services (FSS). There is no entitlement for DSS. The decision to authorize DSS is within the discretion of the Department of Human Services (DHS) or the Michigan Works Agency (MWA).

Employment Support Services (ESS) include, but are not limited to, transportation, special clothing, tools, physical exams, vehicle purchases and vehicle repair. ESS may be authorized by DHS or the MWA. ESS are available only if:
• no other resource is available; and
• the family is applying for or receiving, CDC, Medicaid (MA) or Food Assistance (FAP); and
• the CDC, MA or FAP recipient did not receive DSS for more than 4 consecutive months.

Family Support Services (FSS) include, but are not limited to, classes and seminars, counseling services and commodities. FSS may only be authorized by the Family Independence Specialist.

In order to be eligible for a Department of Human Services payment, applicants/recipients must use regulated care unless it is in the client’s home or the out-of-home provider is
an aunt, uncle, grandparent, great-grandparent or sibling of the child needing care. Eligible providers are those regulated by the Michigan
Department of Consumer and Industry Services, Child Day Care Licensing or enrolled by DHS.

What Should Advocates Do?

Assist clients in applying for Direct Support Services if they need early cash assistance for child care needs. If denied, investigate whether it was a proper denial and request a hearing if appropriate.

What Should Clients Do?

Apply for Direct Support Services if you need early cash assistance while waiting for your child care grant to be opened. If improperly denied, request a hearing.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee.

You can locate various sources of legal and related services, including the free legal aid office that serves your county, at

You can also look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.

Donate Now!
Access to Justice Donation button