Personal tools

Issue Alert - Child Day Care changes

Document Actions

Jul 07, 2006

Program Area:

Child Day Care

Issue Summary:

The Family Independence Program (FIP) grantee has been added to the list of persons who can be the Child Day Care (CDC) applicant for a child needing care.

Persons Affected:

Child Day Care group memmbers who apply for a child needing care.

For More Information:

Center for Civil Justice
320 S. Washington, 2nd Floor
Saginaw, MI 48607
Phone: (989) 755-3120, (800)724-7441
Fax: (989) 755-3558

Michigan Poverty Law Program
611 Church Street, Suite 4A
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3000
Phone: (734) 998-6100
Fax: (734) 998-9125


Group composition is the determination of which persons living together are included in the CDC program group. Only persons that are a part of the group can apply on behalf of a child needing care. When CDC is requested for a child, each of the following persons who
live together must be in the program group:
• Each child for whom care is requested; and
• Each child’s parent(s) or stepparent and
• Each child’s unmarried, under age 18, sibling(s), stepsiblings or half sibling(s); and
• The parent(s) or stepparent of any of the above sibling(s); and
• Any other unmarried child(ren) under age 18 whose parent, stepparent or legal guardian is a member of the program group.

What's Happening?

The applicant/client is the person who signs the application and who serves as primary contact with the Department of Human Services. This person must live with the child(ren) for whom care is requested, and be one of the following in relation to the child(ren) needing care:
-Parent, stepparent or foster parent of the child.
• Another related person acting as caretaker to the child.
• Legal guardian of the child.
• An unrelated adult who is at least age 21 and whose petition for legal guardianship of the child is pending.
• An unrelated adult with whom DHS Children’s Services has placed a child, subsequent to a court order identifying DHS as responsible
for the child’s care and supervision.
• The FIP grantee for the child.
A minor parent (unmarried and under age 18) may be the applicant only if his/her parent or legal guardian does not live in the home. If the minor parent’s parent or legal guardian lives in the home, he/she must be the
Previous policy did not specificaly list the FIP grantee as a person who can be the CDC applicant.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee.

You can locate various sources of legal and related services, including the free legal aid office that serves your county, at

You can also look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.