Personal tools

Issue Alert - 05-01-01

Document Actions

Jan 03, 2005

Issue Summary:

Individuals will no longer be disqualified from receiving State Emergency Relief (SER) because they are serving a disqualification for fraud or Intentional Program Violation (IPV) under other programs including Food Assistance Program (food stamps), Family Independence Program (FIP), or Medicaid.

Persons Affected:

Individuals disqualified from receiving benefits under Medicaid, Food Assistance Program, or cash assistance programs because of an Intentional Program Violation (IPV) or fraud

For More Information:

Michigan Poverty Law Program 611 Church Street, Suite 4A Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3000(734) 998-6100(734) 998-9125 Fax


State Emergency Relief

What's Happening?

Effective January 1, 2005, FIA has issued a new policy that no longer disqualifies individuals from receiving SER because of an IPV or fraud disqualification under other programs. The new policy is announced in Program Policy Bulletin (PPB) 2005-001, page 7 and is reflected in SER Manual 203 page 2. FIA’s PPBs and Manuals are available online at or by using the “Quick Link” at

What Should Advocates Do?

1. Be sure that individuals who were denied SER due to the old policy re-apply if they are still experiencing an emergency. Individuals may also pursue SER by requesting a hearing on the grounds that the previous policy did not comply with the State Administrative Rules on SER. (See Issue Alert 04-08-06 and PPB 2005-001). 2. Let clients serving IPV disqualifications know about the change in policy so that they will not be discouraged from applying for SER if they need it in the future.3. Share this information with agencies that provide emergency help to individuals who are unable to qualify for SER.

What Should Clients Do?

1. Apply for SER if you are experiencing an emergency and believe you are eligible. 2. Re-apply for SER and seek legal advice if you are still experiencing an emergency and were denied SER before January 1, 2005 because of an IPV disqualification under another program.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp web site ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.