Personal tools

Issue Alert - 04-08-07

Document Actions

Sep 17, 2004

Issue Summary:

FIA has clarified its definition of homelessness for SER relocation services to include persons living in HUD transitional housing.

Persons Affected:

Families living in HUD transitional housing.

For More Information:

Lisa Ruby Michigan Poverty Law Program611 Church St. Suite 4AAnn Arbor, MI 48104-3000 Email: lruby@umich.eduFax: (734) 998-9190 (734) 998-6100 ext. 33


State Emergency Relief (SER)

What's Happening?

FIA has expanded its definition of homeless to those who live in HUD transitional housing. HUD transitional housing allows individuals and families to stay in their shelter for up to 24 months while the family finds more a more permanent situation. The transitional facility must be acknowledged by HUD. There is a list of transitional facilities at www.mihomeless.orgPlease note that this list is 2 years old so some of the facilities may have changed. Check with the facility or FIA to verify if a shelter is a HUD-acknowledged transitional facility.

What Should Advocates Do?

Advocates should make clients aware of the new policy. Advocates should find out the list of HUD transitional facilities in their area and assist clients with the SER process. Advocates should identify any HUD transitional facilities in their area and tell them about this change in SER policy. The policy may help these facilities find permanent housing for their residents.

What Should Clients Do?

Clients in a transitional facility should find out if the facility is on the list of HUD acknowledge transitional facilities. If so, the client can apply for SER relocation services. If the client is denied SER, they should seek legal assistance at their local legal aid office.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp web site ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.