Personal tools

Issue Alert - 04-08-05

Document Actions

Sep 08, 2004

Issue Summary:

The fiscal caps for SER have increased for the next fiscal year

Persons Affected:

Applicants for State Emergency Relief.

For More Information:

Lisa Ruby Michigan Poverty Law Program611 Church St. Suite 4AAnn Arbor, MI 48104-3000(734) 998-6100 ext. 33Fax: (734) 998-9190Email:


State Emergency Relief (SER)

What's Happening?

Beginning on October 1st, 2004, the new fiscal year begins. Families who were denied SER help or still need SER help but reached the fiscal cap limit 2003-2004. The fiscal caps have also increased beginning October 1st. The new limits for fiscal year cap for the following energy types are:<P>• Natural gas and wood $550<BR>• Deliverable fuels except wood (fuel oil, propane, coal, etc…)$850<BR>• Residential electric $550<BR>• All-electric home(combined heat and residential use) $1100<BR>• Security deposits/fees for energy services $200 per occurance

What Should Advocates Do?

Advocates should communicate to clients who have been denied SER in the past because they had reached the fiscal caps and still need SER services that they can reapply after October 1st.

What Should Clients Do?

Clients who have been denied SER in the past because they had already received SER up to the fiscal cap and still need the energy payment assistance should reapply for SER after October 1st.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp web site ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.