Personal tools

Issue Alert - 04-07-16

Document Actions

Jul 15, 2004

Issue Summary:

Effective July 1, 2004, families with children do not have to meet an employment requirement in order to qualify for Family Support Services.

Persons Affected:

Families with children that receive Family Independence Program (FIP) cash assistance, Food Assistance Program (FAP - formerly Food Stamps), Medicaid, or Child Day Care (CDC)and do not have a person who has a job or a job offer.

For More Information:

Michigan Poverty Law Program 611 Church Street, Suite 4A Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3000(734) 998-6100(734) 998-9125 Fax


Family Support Services

What's Happening?

Effective July 1, 2004, families do not have to meet an employment requirement in order to qualify for FSS. this allows FIA to assist families in removing barriers that may have prevented the family from getting or keeping a job.

What Should Advocates Do?

Find out if your local FIA office has remaining FSS funds for this year. Find out what types of services they typically provide. Get copies of any written guidelines that they use for approving FSS.Be alert to families that may need services that could be paid for by FSS, and help them apply for FSS at FIA.

What Should Clients Do?

Request FSS if you need services that may be covered. Put the request in writing and keep a copy if possible. If you are denied FSS, seek legal advice.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp web site ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.