Personal tools

Issue Alert - 04-07-05

Document Actions

Jul 01, 2004

Issue Summary:

All Day Care Providers must have a 6 digit Personal ID Number (PIN)in order to use the telephone billing system

Persons Affected:

Day Care Providers who receive payments from FIA

For More Information:

Michigan Poverty Law Program 611 Church Street, Suite 4A Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3000(734) 998-6100(734) 998-9125 Fax


Child Day Care

What's Happening?

Starting sometime in July, FIA is purging the old phone PIN numbers for providers and entering new 6 digit codes. Providers will receive copies of their new 6 digit code in the mail. The changeover date for the new PIN will be announced in the FIA NET "What's New" area, on the PIN mailer, the Statement of Payments (CH-151), and on a message in the phone system.No changes are being made to the Internet PIN number or the Provider IDs. Providers with PIN problems should call 1-800-444-5364. Staff will mail the provider another copy of their pin number. They will not give the PIN information out over the phone. Providers will need to have a current address on the system for verification purposes. Once providers sign in with their new PIN, they will be able to change their PIN to another six digit number if they wish to do so.New providers will receive their PIN number within 2 to 3 days after they are enrolled in the Model Payments provider file.

What Should Advocates Do?

Advocates should make providers, especially day care aides and relative care providers, aware of the changes in telephone billing. Also make sure they have a correct address on file at FIA.

What Should Clients Do?

Clients should make sure their day care provider is aware of the changing in telephone billing, and the importance of having an current address at FIA. Clients should also give providers the 800 number above in case there are any problems with phone billing.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services offices handle these types of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp web site ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.