Personal tools

Issue Alert - 04-04-01

Document Actions

Apr 01, 2004

Issue Summary:

Child care hours are changed from two levels (part-time/full-time) to four levels.

Persons Affected:

Recipients of Child Day Care Assistance

For More Information:

Center for Civil Justice320 S. Washington, 2nd Floor Saginaw, MI 48607 (989) 755-3120, (800)724-7441 (989) 755-3558 FaxE-mail:


Child Development and Care Program (CDC) - PEM 703

What's Happening?

Authorizations are changing from part-time/full-time to four new levels.1. 30 hours if need hours equal one through 30;2. 50 hours if need hours equal 31 through 50;3. 75 hours if need hours equal 51 through 75; and4. 100 hours if need hours exceed 75.A standard travel time allotment of five hours per week (10 hours per pay period) is added to the work schedule when calculating the number of hours to be authorized. If necessary, more than the five hours per week allotment can be allowed. However, this cannot exceed more than two hours per day.PEM 705, 710PAM 908This new policy begins on April 1, 2004. Need must be determined at application, redetermination, and when a change in work or activity hours is reported.

What Should Advocates Do?

Be sure that recipients understand the change. Be sure that FIP recipients with children under the age of 6 understand that they cannot be required to participate in assignments that would require leaving a child in care that costs more than what FIA pays -- including hours over the 100 hour CDC cap for a two week period. Help clients seek deferrals or assignment changes if they are being forced to leave children in child care for more than 100 hours in a two week period.

What Should Clients Do?

Seek legal advice if you are being required to participate in work or Work First activities that require leaving a child under age 13 (or age 13-18 and requiring care due to a disability) in child care for more than 100 hours in a two week period.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services office handle these type of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp web site ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.