Personal tools

Issue Alert - 04-01-04

Document Actions

Jan 05, 2004

Issue Summary:

Revised Limits and Allowances for Medicaid (MA), Transitional Medicaid Program (TMAP), and MIChild

Persons Affected:

Medicaid Recipients

For More Information:

Center for Civil Justice320 S. Washington, 2nd Floor Saginaw, MI 48607 (989) 755-3120, (800) 724-7441 (989) 755-3558 FaxE-mail:



What's Happening?

Community Spouse Income Allowance (PEM 546): the Heat and Utility allowance was raised from $365.00 to $375.00 as of January 2004. The standard shelter allowance will be raised in July 2004 from $455.00 to $468.00. The basic allowance will also be raised in July 2004 from $1515.00 to $1556.00.Spousal Support Referrals: New minimum income and asset amounts apply to screening clients for referral. A referral will not be made if, for MA applicants only, the known value of the absent spouse's assets, excluding his home, household goods, personal goods and one vehicle, is $92,760 or less and his gross annual income is $27,828 or less; or the absent spouse's gross annual income is $27,828 or less. However, a referral is also not made when a community spouse has more than $2,319 per month income ($27,828 per year) and/or $92,760 in assets due to a court order or a hearing decision under the spousal impoverishment provisions of section 1924 of the Social Security Act.Other amounts have been changed that determine Medicaid eligibility for months beginning January 2004:Special Protected Income Levels - PRT 245Remedial Services Allowance - PRT 241Extended Care and Children's Waiver - PEM 164, 171Minimum and Maximum Protected Spousal Amounts - PEM 402Allocation and Parental Deeming - PEM 540, 541; PRT 247Conversion Numbers for 503 Individuals - PEM 155Home Care Children - PEM 170February Limits - New poverty level limits will apply in February 2004 for Healthy Kids, Transtional Medicaid Plus (TMA-Plus), Qualified Disabled Working Individuals (QDWI) and Refugee Assistance Medical (RAP-Medical).April Limits - New poverty level limits will apply in April 2004 for the Ad-Care and Medicare Savings Program clients that receive Social Security Retirement or Disability (RSDI).

What Should Advocates Do?

PEM - Program Eligibility ManualPAM - Program Administrative ManualPRT - Program Reference TablesAll of these manuals can be found online at:

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services office handle these type of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp website ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.