Personal tools

Issue Alert - 03-08-01

Document Actions

Aug 18, 2003

Issue Summary:

Food Stamp recipients in SE Michigan will automatically receive replacement benefits. Households that lost more than one half of their August Food Stamp allotment should ask for additional replacement benefits by August 24.

Persons Affected:

Food Assistance/Food Stamp recipients


Food Stamps

What's Happening?

FIA received a waiver to allow automatic replacement Food Assistance / Food Stamps for households in Macomb, Monroe, Wayne, Washtenaw, & Oakland Counties. The replacement will be available on recipients' Bridge Cards August 20.Households that lost food that cost more than one half of their August Food Stamp allotment can request additional replacement FAP/FS by filling out form FIA 601. The loss must be reported to FIA no later than August 24.

Clients can get the form from their worker or a manual copy is located

What Should Advocates Do?

CCJ has developed a flyer that you can distribute widely. It is posted as a news item on the Michigan LawHelp web site ( Please try to get the word out right away in light of the 10-day limit on requesting replacements. Your local Information and Referral Centers and emergency food providers may be a good place to start, since they will be fielding many calls from recipients who need extra food.

What Should Clients Do?

Recipients or agency staff who have questions can also contact CCJ's Food Stamp Helpline at (800) 481-4989.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services office handle these type of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp website ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.