Personal tools

Issue Alert - 03-06-01

Document Actions

Jun 09, 2003

Issue Summary:

Income limits have changed for Healthy Kids, AD-Care, Medicare Savings Program, Qualified Disabled Working Individuals (QDWI), RAP-Medical, TMA-Plus

Persons Affected:

Persons receiving benefits from the above listed programs.

For More Information:

Center for Civil Justice320 S. Washington, 2nd Floor Saginaw, MI 48607 (989) 755-3120, (800)724-7441 Fax: (989) 755-3558E-mail:


Medicaid, RAP-Medical, Transitional Medicaid Plus (TMA-Plus), MIChild

What's Happening?

The income limits for the following programs have changed: Healthy Kids, AD-Care, Medicare Savings Program, QDWI, RAP-Medical, and TMA-Plus. The new limits are now in effect, except for: women already approved under PEM 125, Healthy Kids for Pregnant Women, using the estimated limits remain income eligible despite new limits; children already approved under PEM 129, Healthy Kids Under Age 1, or PEM 131, Other Healthy Kids, using te estimated limits remain eligible despite the new limits. The new limits for other recipients are to be used the next time the case is handled, but no later than the next redetermination.The monthly shelter standard and basic allowance used to compute the community spouse income allow and the family allowance increase effective July 1, 2003. The increases are lower than the initial estimated amounts.MIChild income limits have also changed.

What Should Advocates Do?

If clients receive negative action notices stating that they are no longer income eligible, check the budget to be sure that it is accurate and that all possible deductions have been taken. Be sure to evaluate other programs that clients may be eligible for that have higher income limits or greater income deductions.

What Should Clients Do?

If you receive a negative action notice stating that you are no longer eligible for benefits because of excess income, contact your case worker to be sure that the budget was done accurately and that there are no other programs that you may be eligible for. You may also wish to contact your local legal services office.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services office handle these type of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan LawHelp website ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738.