Personal tools

Issue Alert - 03-03-02

Document Actions

Apr 01, 2003

Issue Summary:

FIA has reduced its maximum childcare payment rate for Relative Care Providers

Persons Affected:

Persons who receive Child Day Care assistance from FIA to pay for a Relative Care Provider to care for their child(ren).


Child Day Care

What's Happening?

Effective April 1, 2003, the maximum hourly payments rates for Relative Care Providers have been reduced. The maximum hourly rates for all types of providers follow.FIA MAXIMUM HOURLY RATES Shelter area (see PRT 270 for a list of counties by shelter area): I, II, III, IV, V, VIDay Care Center (child age 0-2 1/2): $2.25, $2.60, $2.50, $2.85, $3.00, $2.95Day Care Center (child age 2 1/2+): $1.90, $2.25, $2.00, $2.25, $2.25, $2.50Family/Group Home (child age 0-2 1/2): $2.00, $2.00, $2.00, $2.00, $2.25, $2.50Family/Group Home (child age 2 1/2+): $2.00, $2.00, $2.00, $2.00, $2.10, $2.50Relative Care Provider (child age 0-2 1/2): $1.88, $1.88, $1.88, $1.88, $2.12, $2.35Relative Care Provider (child age 2 1/2+): $1.88, $1.88, $1.88. $1.88, $1.97, $2.35Day Care Aide (child any age): $1.35, $1.35, $1.35, $1.60, $1.60, $1.60Prior to this change, FIA's maximum payment rates for Relative Care Providers were the same as the rates for Family/Group Homes.

What Should Advocates Do?

<p>Advocates should make sure their clients whose children receive care from a Relative Care Provider know about the FIA payment rate reduction. Clients may need assistance locating alternative childcare if their current provider cannot accept the reduced rate. Advocates should refer clients to their local 4C agency if they need further assistance. The toll-free 4C childcare referral number is 1-866-424-4532. Advocates should also make sure their clients know that a lack of appropriate, affordable childcare is considered "good cause" for not meeting a work requirement for FIA's programs. Clients who will have to miss work or Work First because they don't have childcare should tell their caseworkers immediately and write down what happened, what their good cause reason was and when they informed their caseworker. Clients should be told that if FIA doesn't accept their good cause reason that they should request a hearing and seek legal advice.

What Should Clients Do?

<p>Clients whose children are cared for by a Relative Care Provider should make sure their current provider is aware of the rate reduction and can continue to provide care at the reduced rate. Clients who need help finding an alternative childcare provider should contact their local 4C office. The toll-free 4C childcare referral number is 1-866-424-4532.Clients who must miss work or Work First while they re-arrange their childcare situation should inform their caseworker of the lack of childcare immediately. Clients should write down when they had to miss work or Work First, why they had to miss (lack of childcare), and when they informed their caseworker. Clients who miss work or Work First with good cause but are sanctioned should seek legal advice.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services office handle these type of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan Legal Assistance Network website ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738