Personal tools

Issue Alert - 02-09-10

Document Actions

Oct 01, 2002

Issue Summary:

Government-issued energy payments may now be used to help meet required payments in the SER program.

Persons Affected:

SER applicants who receive government-issued energy payments, such as the Home Heating Credit.


State Emergency Relief (SER

What's Happening?

FIA must now count government-issued energy payments toward a SER applicant’s required payment if the client received the payments during the required-payment period.

What Should Advocates Do?

Advocates should advise clients who are applying for SER of this new policy so they are sure to report any special energy payments on their applications.

What Should Clients Do?

If clients have recently been denied SER because they failed to meet their required payment, but they received some sort of special government-issued energy payment during that period, they should reapply for SER. Clients should always be sure to include any government-issued energy payments on their SER applications.

Finding Help

Most legal aid and legal services office handle these type of cases, and they do not charge a fee. You can locate the "free" legal services or legal aid office that serves your county on the Michigan Legal Assistance Network website ( or look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" or call the toll-free lawyer referral number, (800) 968-0738